Thread: Water treatment (my water being over chlorinated)

Blog Entries

Water treatment (my water being over chlorinated)

So Ken and Andy were talking to me at yesterday's meeting about chlorinated aroma and taste in my water. Andy you made mention of something I can add ahead of time and just tank my strike and sparge water for brew day. Unfortunately in the hustle and bustle of yesterday's meeting I forgot what it was you mentioned and how much to use. Give me a quick shout out on this again if you would.

Tim
    Primary: "Alliteration" (12/12/12 semi sweet mead with Chardonnay yeast)
    Secondary:
    Conditioning: 9/11 Heaven Barleywine, Rhubarb Berliner Weisse, Perfect Match Porter
    Enjoying / On Tap: Moo! (Steel toe milk stout clone), peanut butter cup stout, Rye-aled Up (roggenbier), and Jack-o-lantern (pumpkin spiced saison)
    On Deck: "Wiser Bock" and "Obliteration" (westvbleteren 12 clone) or at least a kick ass quad since I have nothing to reference
    Projects:

No sure about your water, but mine in Highlands Ranch has a bunch of Chloramine (4 mg/L). Chlorine can be easily be removed by boiling or letting it sit out for 24 hours. Chloramine will require filtering through a carbon filter or treatment with Camden tablets. I personally do both - pulling my water from our filtered faucet and then I add Camden at 1/4 table per 5 gallons of water.

So, I would first get info from your city and get a water report to find out if they use Chlorine or Chloramine. Then take the appropriate action.

Blog Entries
    My local water district reported my water as having 1.5 mg/L so far less then your water assuming it's consistently accurate and at the level they've reported to me. So what is considered moderate/high because obviously it's being detectable?

Campden tablets is definitely what Andy had recommended. I have a filter on my fridge, but that would take forever.

I have 2 big 15 gallon containers that held LME in a former life. Wondering after rinsing with some PBW (they've been sitting around awhile, then adding some of my tap water boiled to it, and throwing in a tablespoon of camden will do the trick a day or 2 before brew day. Then just use a racking cane to transfer to my HLT/MT as needed.
    Secondary:
    Conditioning: 9/11 Heaven Barleywine, Rhubarb Berliner Weisse, Perfect Match Porter
    Enjoying / On Tap: Moo! (Steel toe milk stout clone), peanut butter cup stout, Rye-aled Up (roggenbier), and Jack-o-lantern (pumpkin spiced saison)
    On Deck: "Wiser Bock" and "Obliteration" (westvbleteren 12 clone) or at least a kick ass quad since I have nothing to reference
    Projects:

Yeah, I think Campden will work almost immediately in ridding it of chlorine/choramine, but typically I prep my water the night before. John Palmer has always recommended 1 tablet per 20 gallons of water. I have a pill splitter and treat 5 gallons at a time with 1/4 tablet. Your plan should work just fine.

Blog Entries
    Didn't see this, Tim. I agree with the above. My friends in MI do the night before treatment with campden.

I bought a filter housing at ACE hardware with the PET fittings to allow a garden hose. I put it on the end of my hose and push it through a carbon/paper cartridge prior to use. It doesn't take long.
    if you're out Treading trodden trails, stop by for a beer!
    On Tap:
    Blackberry Wit
    Anthem Bock
    Anthem Blonde
    Pullman Porter
    Bloch's Bounty Milk Stout
    Sour Brown Monk

Still Bubblin' or Carbonatin':
    Schwartz
    Cascadian Dark

Blog Entries
    kinda weird dropping that crushed teeny tiny tablet into 15 gallons of water, but sure enough I smelled not a trace of chlorine the following day. I may still be a newbie, but I am on the move now with great mashing efficiency and now odor-free water.
    Secondary:
    Projects: