Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quarterly Monk Competition Begins...Nov. 2011

Quarterly Monk Competition Begins...Nov. 2011

The Quarterly Monk Competition stems from an idea after talking to Ken and Andy N. After some positive feedback, I will move this idea forward. (visit the blog to see the full details if you need more background)

The premise behind this competition is for fun, to improve your beer, improve your skills as a brewer, and to raise funds to keep the Monks website and club essentially duty free.
    And of course, outright bragging rights as brewing Abbott!

So Beginning November at Ken/Randy's meeting I suggest we draw the 1st quarter style. (I will set up the drawing) Since we are loosely organized, our quarters shall be designated around the Monk calendar, that is every third meeting from the initial competition drawing, and third from the following competition. February 2012 shall be the judging of the first Competition. This allows 12 weeks to decide, plan, and age the drawn style.

Winner receives a Chalice/Mug to show-off and maintain bragging rights for 3 meetings thereafter and to relinquish, or maintain, at the next competition. Additionally, a ribbon will commemorate the win to be kept by the champ.

As promised I will donate the Chalice and a set of ribbons to get us all started.

I suggest the Competition be $5 for the first beer and $2 for each additional beer, with unlimited entries. Proceeds will initially be used to fund the Mile High Monk website/forum.

Since Money is now involved we need a treasurer for book-keeping. I volunteer for the responsibility unless a vote of consensus nominates another monk.

I would like suggestions on the engraving of the Mug for line 1

Line 1 : " ??? "
    Line 2 : Mile High Monks

Also encouraged are suggestions to the format of the quarterly competition. Drink up, Brother.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    -Benjamin Franklin

Catch of the Day:
    Highline Brewing- Blochs Bounty Milk Stout on Nitro
    ARMISTICE AMBER ALE
    Lilly Hammer IPA
    True Grit Pale Ale
    Big Kahuna Coconut Porter
    Redheaded Step Sista

Blog Entries
    "High Abbott"?

I second your nomination of yourself for treasurer.
    Current beer projects: just drinking what is on tap while working around the house.

Blog Entries
    All in favor: "aye" The ayes have it! I'll expect a full accounting of the 20 dollars each quarter to audit compliance with the applicable Ricoh statutes...I won't be able to make the meeting, do you think you'll have every category in the drawing, or limit them to those that can be turned around in 90 days?

Great idea. I'm pretty excited. The other good news about this is that we could time the club-only comps to coincide with our meetings so that the winner of us could go forth as our club beer. Also it would give me a reason to brew styles I normally don't try, as I'm lazy and dislike change.
    if you're out Treading trodden trails, stop by for a beer!
    On Tap:
    Blackberry Wit
    Anthem Bock
    Anthem Blonde
    Pullman Porter
    Bloch's Bounty Milk Stout
    Sour Brown Monk

Still Bubblin' or Carbonatin':
    Schwartz
    Cascadian Dark

Glad you axed.
    What I was thinking, especially since this is the first and we are still tasting the waters, er, testing the waters that we draw one style category, maybe two (per the BJCP guidelines,) and roll with that.
    So as an example if category "13" was drawn, participants could brew up any of or all of the 6 listed stout styles: 13A-13F.
    Limiting styles to 90 days may be a good idea. But that would prevent us from brewing a particular style, so, if said barley wine was drawn as a style we could always give that a one year calendar date and just pick another beer for the next comp.
    keep the ideas coming!
    -Benjamin Franklin

Catch of the Day:
    ARMISTICE AMBER ALE
    Lilly Hammer IPA
    True Grit Pale Ale
    Redheaded Step Sista

Blog Entries
    I like the idea of quarterly styles for planning brewing and aged and having the individual preference through in the sub-style. May as well select long aging styles like barleywines, lambics, etc. So do we want to nominate at the upcoming meeting Feb 2012 and 2013?

Not sure if anyone like my suggestion about having those not competing to do the judging? Thoughts?

So line 1.....would it be sacreligious if we put "Your Holiness". Little play on words.
    Primary: "Alliteration" (12/12/12 semi sweet mead with Chardonnay yeast)
    Secondary:
    Conditioning: 9/11 Heaven Barleywine, Rhubarb Berliner Weisse, Perfect Match Porter
    Enjoying / On Tap: Moo! (Steel toe milk stout clone), peanut butter cup stout, Rye-aled Up (roggenbier), and Jack-o-lantern (pumpkin spiced saison)
    On Deck: "Wiser Bock" and "Obliteration" (westvbleteren 12 clone) or at least a kick ass quad since I have nothing to reference
    Projects:

I respectfully DISAGREE with the proposed competition format.

Any Monk that wants to compete in a sanctioned event is free to do so at any time, and current internal competitions have already been successful without the need for "entrance fees".

The majority of Monk meetings simply come down to: "Hey, I brewed this, do you like it?" If yes, then there's your prize! If not, then we have always provided honest, productive feedback to each other so that we can continue improving. Either way, it's a WIN-WIN and doesn't cost ANYTHING.

I assert that if competitions, regulations, dues, etc. are your thing, then perhaps the Mile High Monks isn't the perfect fit for you. It says so on the first page of this website:

"we... watch, help, teach and learn the process of making quality beer. With our combined experience and knowledge, our members become better brewers. Because we are a fellowship of brewers, there are no dues, politics, competitions, attitudes or elected officials to be upset about."

Why change it?

Blog Entries
    I agree with your assertion that the monks was meant to be a dues/fees-free zone. I know as still the new guy I enjoyed the feedback a couple months back on a few different beers I brought both good and the constructive.

I think the thought behind an internal, again quarterly competition with a small entry fee attached is to help subsidize a fine site like this one.

I've been on several online forums like this beer related and not beer related and the fact is if you leave it as optional donations, most usually won't help out. Not sure if it's Chris or Ruben that I'd pass some funds along or if there's a donation button, but I plan on donating $20 because this site definitely comes out of someone's pocket.

In between or even during quarterly events I'm sure fellow monks would still offer free feedback. I get what your saying and your post now puts me back on the fence. I can see both sides.

But in regards to this site, I personally plan to donate $20 a year as I've found some good use out of it.
    Primary: "Alliteration" (12/12/12 semi sweet mead with Chardonnay yeast)
    Secondary:
    Conditioning: 9/11 Heaven Barleywine, Rhubarb Berliner Weisse, Perfect Match Porter
    Enjoying / On Tap: Moo! (Steel toe milk stout clone), peanut butter cup stout, Rye-aled Up (roggenbier), and Jack-o-lantern (pumpkin spiced saison)
    On Deck: "Wiser Bock" and "Obliteration" (westvbleteren 12 clone) or at least a kick ass quad since I have nothing to reference
    Projects:

The suggestion wasn't intended to change anything, nor was it intended to offend or cause waves, but it was an idea to raise money in a fun way on a strictly voluntary basis to keep the financial burden and responsibilities off the few individual(s) who care enough about the Monks to ensure the site continues to run.
    Nothing more.
    Surely that would be more fun than passing a hat a round asking for charity. There's no politics involved in that. If funds above the needed financial burden is exceeded, then the difference could be used in a fashion that all members benefit regardless of participation in the quarterly comp. For instance it could buy a boat load of hot dogs and hamburgers for the "potatoes and hooka event" or any event for that matter. It could help pay for food at a meeting, chemflour tubing, propane, large grain buys, hop buys, pint glasses, The possibilities really are limitless.

In the end it doesn't mean that much to me to have it or not. I'd rather not cause waves. I'm a newer member, so I'll let you seasoned monks decide...
    -Benjamin Franklin

Catch of the Day:
    ARMISTICE AMBER ALE
    Lilly Hammer IPA
    True Grit Pale Ale
    Redheaded Step Sista

Oh, but by the way, if there is enough support and you all want to do this thing, Ken drew the following styles
    For meeting February 2012: category 20- fruit beer and 21 spiceherb/veggie beer
    and
    For meeting November 2012: category 22-smoke flavored/wood aged beer, 23- specialty beer
    -Benjamin Franklin

Catch of the Day:
    ARMISTICE AMBER ALE
    Lilly Hammer IPA
    True Grit Pale Ale
    Redheaded Step Sista

Blog Entries
    Jason, thanks for bringing forth your idea and promoting it. To me, that is what the Monks are really about: thinking up an idea and following though with it. I will be researching those styles and building a recipe to brew for the meeting. I think $5 is a small price to pay for entry; and like you said, it is for something fun.

This is not the place to debate about the cost of the website, if you want to learn more about how I feel about it please go here:
    http://www.milehighmonks.com/entry.p...te-Fundraising
    Current beer projects: just drinking what is on tap while working around the house.