Thread: Smoked Salmon Pairing?

Blog Entries

Smoked Salmon Pairing?

I have a friend at work that smokes, well, everything and has a side catering job. He and I traded beer for smoked salmon.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a beer to pair with a smoked salmon filet. I have a small piece maybe 6-10 oz.
    and he offered it as the favorite of all his friends and family. Basically I was honored with the most sought after chunk.

He tells me that the tail piece, tends to smoke more deeply and has a much more smoke presence than the rest of the filet.
    Also it is a more oily piece of the fish. (doesnt bother me one bit. I love both extremes.) I just want to pair it nicely with a
    beer that I can pass on to him and say, "This one!"

The one that jumps to the front for me is Ft. Collins Brewery- Z-lager.
    I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol that some thinkle peep I am.

Blog Entries
    My initial knee jerk reaction would be something like an amber to mingle with the smokiness and heavy enough to cut through the fat, but not tamper with the smokiness. I think the same would hold true with a burger generally speaking.

Any kind of additional sauce or toppings? (thinking glaze, cilantro, seasoning, etc)

A saison may also be a good style.

If the piece weren't as smoky or fatty, I'd definitely go lighter with other cuts like a Belgian Wit or even a Kolsch maybe.

Try Alaska's Amber Alt if you get no other recommendations on this particular cut.
    Primary: "Alliteration" (12/12/12 semi sweet mead with Chardonnay yeast)
    Secondary:
    Conditioning: 9/11 Heaven Barleywine, Rhubarb Berliner Weisse, Perfect Match Porter
    Enjoying / On Tap: Moo! (Steel toe milk stout clone), peanut butter cup stout, Rye-aled Up (roggenbier), and Jack-o-lantern (pumpkin spiced saison)
    On Deck: "Wiser Bock" and "Obliteration" (westvbleteren 12 clone) or at least a kick ass quad since I have nothing to reference
    Projects:

Blog Entries
    You need an IPA. Hops cut oil, not a toungue splitter, but a floral side American IPA like mine, or Alaskan, or Pike's. Sweeter is better. If you can have a few chunks of a super-sharp cheddar you'll hit the trifecta.
    if you're out Treading trodden trails, stop by for a beer!
    On Tap:
    Blackberry Wit
    Anthem Bock
    Anthem Blonde
    Pullman Porter
    Bloch's Bounty Milk Stout
    Sour Brown Monk

Still Bubblin' or Carbonatin':
    Schwartz
    Cascadian Dark

Blog Entries
    I have a smoked swiss from Rybickys in MSP, Mall of America. So far every chance I have had to open it up, I have other things or
    forgot all together. Shooting for the 11th with a "dinner double date" with a friend "couple" Maybe a quick pre dinner app will be it.
    Thanks for the feed back.
    I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol that some thinkle peep I am.